THE NORTHERN LIGHTS BLUEGRASS AND OLD TYME MUSIC SOCIETY INC. IS A NOT FOR PROFIT ORGANIZATION FORMED IN 2006.
WE ALWAYS HAVE LOTS GOING ON:
- We host a three-day Music Festival the third weekend every August at the beautiful Ness Creek site in Northern Saskatchewan.
- The week prior to the fest we hold a Music Camp, bringing some of the main stage acts in early as instructors in traditional instruments for all ages and skill levels – from beginner to virtuoso.
- Throughout the year we host bluegrass and old-time concerts, workshops, dances and community events. We have been across the province and beyond – from Dorintosh to Carlyle, Tisdale to Bienfait and many a place in between. Check out our Events Calendar for upcoming events.
- On the first Tuesday of every month, at 11 am to Noon (CST) we host Northern Lights Music Hall on CFCR radio’s So Many Roads show. 90.5 pm in Saskatoon / www.cfcr.ca for live streaming.
The Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society Inc. has been formed to teach, promote, encourage, foster and cultivate the education, preservation, appreciation, understanding, enjoyment, accessibility, support and performance of traditional instrumental and vocal music in Saskatchewan. The education component and connection to our prairie heritage makes the organization more than a festival and entertainment provider – it is part of the culture of the province and an active participant in making and preserving music history.
To meet our mandate, our goals are to:
- Foster and cultivate the growth of bluegrass and old tyme music in Saskatchewan;
- Support and encourage Saskatchewan and Canadian artists;
- Provide an audience for emerging local artists by promoting local talent;
- Provide educational workshops and an environment for learning and passing the music to new and experienced artists alike;
- We will create partnerships and encourage new opportunities for bluegrass and old tyme music in Saskatchewan.
Many volunteers contribute many hours to make the Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society Inc.’s activities a reality. All volunteers must be paid members of the Society. Volunteers must work a minimum of 8 hours to receive free entry to the festival.
Click here for more information or to apply as a volunteer and receive information about becoming a member of the Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society, please email us.
A FINE OLD TIME
Old Time music has a rich history on the prairies, especially in rural areas. We call it our “prairie heritage music” and it is as diverse as the people who live here – polkas that originated in Eastern Europe, reels and schottisches from the British Isles, foxtrots & square dances from the USA jigs & two-steps originating with the French/Métis cultures.
A key aspect of our programming is promoting education and interaction opportunities with artists through workshops and jams in our host communities. Our school workshops have reached over 2000 children, mostly in rural Saskatchewan and our evening concerts and dances bring all ages together in both large and small communities.
Northern Lights Old Time music and dance tours feature professionals who are some of Canada’s best old tyme musicians. Combinations of artists are assembled for each tour. The school shows include both performance and dance, with a focus on audience participation through movement and rhythm.
To book a school show or an evening concert/dance, please CONTACT US.