The Northern Lights Bluegrass and Old Tyme Music Society Inc. has been formed to teach, promote, encourage, foster and cultivate the education, preservation, appreciation, understanding, enjoyment, accessibility, support and performance of traditional instrumental and vocal music in Saskatchewan. The education component and connection to our prairie heritage makes the organization more than a festival and entertainment provider – it is part of the culture of the province and an active participant in making and preserving music history.
To meet our mandate, our goals are to:
- Foster and cultivate the growth of bluegrass and old tyme music in Saskatchewan;
- Support and encourage Saskatchewan and Canadian artists;
- Provide an audience for emerging local artists by promoting local talent;
- Provide educational workshops and an environment for learning and passing the music to new and experienced artists alike;
- We will create partnerships and encourage new opportunities for bluegrass and old tyme music in Saskatchewan.
WHO WE ARE
Tanya Wagner – Executive Director
Meet Our Board
Ryan Shotton – Board Chair
Kasia Thorlakson – Vice Chair
Nathan Ottenson – Secretary
Guy Hughes – Treasurer
Pamela Muench – Member at Large
Donna Thiessen – Member at Large
Nathan Ottenson – Member at Large
Cordell Anderson – Member at Large
Diane Ewert – Member at Large
WE ALWAYS HAVE LOTS GOING ON:
- AUGUST MUSIC FESTIVAL – We host a three-day Music Festival the third weekend every August at the beautiful Ness Creek site in Northern Saskatchewan.
- AUGUST MUSIC CAMP – The week prior to the fest we hold a Music Camp, bringing some of the main stage acts in early as instructors in traditional instruments for all ages and skill levels – from beginner to virtuoso.
- BLUEGRASS AT THE BARN – A one-day music festival in June, close to Saskatoon and Regina that features many of our August festival acts.
- BLUEGRASS BRUNCH – Rise and shine every first Saturday of the month from 11 am to 1 pm for Bluegrass Brunch at Somewhere Else Pub and Grill in Saskatoon, and get your feet moving to the rhythm of Saskatchewan’s best Bluegrass bands.
- CONCERTS, WORKSHOPS AND DANCES – Throughout the year we host bluegrass and old-time concerts, workshops, dances and community events. We have been across the province and beyond – from Dorintosh to Carlyle, Tisdale to Bienfait and many a place in between.
- OPEN JAMS – We host bi-weekly jams in Saskatoon, Regina and Prince Albert – Please sign up for our newsletter or keep an eye on our website for updates on the jam times and locations.
- RADIO SHOW – On the first Tuesday of every month, 11am to Noon (CST) we host Northern Lights Music Hall on CFCR radio’s So Many Roads show. 90.5 pm in Saskatoon / www.cfcr.ca for live streaming. Also check out Bluegrass and Whatnot every Sunday from 9:00am – 11:00am for two hours of bluegrass (and whatnot).